Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sight Word Legos

Hi Everyone!
I wanted to share about something that I have been LOVING for the classroom lately!
This is not my original idea, I got the idea from Miss Martin's Classroom.

I actually used this while I was tutoring, but I definitely plan to use it in the classroom as well.
It is so simple, put sight words on Legos to get kids motivated. (You can really put sight words on anything.)


I created a little game where I hold up one Lego at a time and he has to tell me the word. If he gets it right, it goes into his "tower". If he doesn't get it, it goes into my "tower". We created towers of seven since we were in the library, whoever had the most towers at the end wins.
I love this because you can change them anything to fit a certain child's needs and they are easy to change once you need harder words.

I bought this box of Mega Blocks at Walmart for around $10.
I used small Post-Its for the words because I thought that I could just cut out the sticky part and stick them on and they would be easy to change out. I spent about an hour cutting them out and writing the words on all of them, when I came back a few hours later the Post-Its were already starting to peel off. I knew that with kids using them, the words would be falling off and it would be a pain. I ended up putting scotch tape over them after so that they would stay and they have been great! It will be a little bit harder to change out now, but for now they are great.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment